Sunday, September 18, 2011

Episode 12: So Dear to My Heart

Hold your breath, everybody: this week on Mousterpiece Cinema, we're submerging ourselves deep in nostalgia with 1949's So Dear to My Heart, one of the first hybrid live-action/animated movies from Walt Disney and Buena Vista Distribution. This movie is meant to be a heartwarming story about family, friendship, and hard work, but was Josh's heart melted by So Dear to My Heart? Or did he not properly prepare himself for a movie whose fond look back at the Midwest in 1903 inspired Disneyland itself? Check out this week's show to find out!

1 comment:

  1. Josh, I just listened to this one and really enjoyed it. You were a little too hard on it, overall, but I can see where you're coming from with the overwhelming sappiness and the odd family situation. Personally, I enjoyed the film and even got into its uplifting if corny message. You also have to realize that post-WWII audiences were gravitating towards this overly sentimental stuff. It's interesting to watch this and picture where Walt Disney was at during this time (and you're correct, the animated sequences do seem tacked on).

    Looking forward to checking out more of your podcasts (I gravitate towards the lousy movies, in case you didn't notice)!

    ReplyDelete